Ask, "What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the phrase 'personal values?'"
Ask foster youth to define these universal values:
- Pursuit of Excellence
*Universal values transcend time, religion and culture.
List and define various types of values:
- Aesthetic values: Concern with appearance and beauty
- Health and safety values: Concern with physical well-being
- Environmental values: Concern with the state of the environment
- Intellectual values: Concern with reasoning
- Moral values: Concerned about the well-being of others
- Religious values: Concerned with spirituality and faith
- What are your personal values?
- Why do you value those thing?
- How might they influence your life choices?
- Are any of your personal values in conflict with one another?
Kister, Joanna. Life Planning Resource Guide. Ohio Department of Education, 1994.